[Wish] New sorting order

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

m^2
Power Member
Power Member

[Wish] New sorting order

Post by *m^2 »

By groups defined in Searches section of TotalCmd.ini.
If I'm looking for music, I usually don't care if it's mp3 or wma.
Similarly with another file types.
Sombra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sombra »

I usually don't care if it's mp3 or wma.
A "partial" solution with the plugin ShellDetails from Lefteous;
You can create a custom column with [=shelldetails.Type] and sort by it.
Supposing that the wma and mp3 files are associates to the same program, the order should be the wished.
I can read English, but... I write like Tarzan. (sorry)
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

It's not mobile. I work on 4 computers (actually more, but with 4 configurations), on 2 of them I have absolutely no rights. And I have almost no associations - I hardly install software - just copy TC (or run it from pendrive) and open everything with F4.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

You can create groups with plugin FileX:
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/FileX.html

If you mustn't use plugins, why don't you just save a search for "*.mp3 *.wma" and call it "Music"?

Icfu
This account is for sale
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

icfu wrote: If you mustn't use plugins, why don't you just save a search for "*.mp3 *.wma" and call it "Music"?
I have them saved. And I know groups of my files by looking at color + additionally at extension. Doing the same with searching would be much slower. And won't give me grouping efect - only "Show one thing and ignore the rest".
icfu wrote:You can create groups with plugin FileX:
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/FileX.html
Thank you, it's a solution.
Though I don't like it.
It would need translation of my searches to incompatibile expressions - I use RegExps, so automation of this process isn't quick. Manual translation of more than 20 KB is also a problem.
It adds redundant data. Currenly, every statement in my Searches is written 8 times in 4 files. This would add another 3 in 3. And one conversion.
And finally, it sorts by a group name. If I want to have executables at the top and temps, backups, uninteresting at the bottom, I'll have to change names to _Exes, zBackup etc.
The first two problems can be solved with plugin, AFAIK there is a project of a plugin to replace whole searches functionality. But it won't be released shortly (if ever). And plugin can do nothing with the last problem - it has to be done internally.