Minimize to tray ?

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Unused

Minimize to tray ?

Post by *Unused »

Hello ....

Is it possible to minimize the total Comander on PocketPC (2.5 beta) to the tray , so that i can ha a tray symbol for it ?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, there is no tray on the PocketPC, sorry. There are tools which simulate the tray by showing an icon in the title bar, but they need to use inofficial tricks.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Unused

Post by *Unused »

i have here a small image , there you can see ver the sofbutton "Kontakte" in the bottom right corner a small circle-like symbol. thats the icon for the Commanger, this is on Windows Mobile 5 Phone Edition on a XDA Neo (HTC Prophet). Sorry but i could not find a better foto yet on the net.

So this is what i mean with a "tray symbol" on a Pocket PC....

Image: http://www.welectronics.com/gsm/o2/o2-xda_neo.jpeg[/img]
AlleyKat

Post by *AlleyKat »

That 'tray' applet is IIRC a special Today screen plugin shipped with some WM5 mobile setups. It works pretty much in the same way the tdLauch plugin works.

[edit] No, bilbo is right, it shows active applications - ok, I don't know one of those, closest I got is like this [/edit]
Translate your favorite Mozilla Extension ~ Your Language Is Important Too.
#tcmd on irc.freenode.net - the place to idle
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, these are some kind of today screen plugins. Currently it's not planned to add such an icon for Total Commander Pocket, sorry.
Unused

Post by *Unused »

I have found a workaround for this problem. i have installed the PHM Power Toys and use the Tray Launcher to start TotalCommander and ohter Software from the Tray.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice, thanks for sharing your solution!
ianl8888

Post by *ianl8888 »

I agree that the use of the TrayLaunch utility in PHMPower Tools is an excellent innovation.

Although the author of Power Tools is firm that all the tools must be installed (the SIP DLL covers 3 SIP's at once to save ram), I have extracted the EXE for TrayLaunch and made a CAB of it. As the author says, TrayLaunch does not need a CPL or DLL support file.

TrayLaunch is now installed on both my PDA's and working fine. An excellent solution to utilise otherwise wasted Today screen space. Total Commander is registered in the tray, of course, and is now available for every menu page that I access.
Sanjuro

Post by *Sanjuro »

ghisler Tray in WM is Notification Icon Area. To use attach icon to tray you must use only one function Shell_NotifyIcon (look on MSDN for more info).
I saw in SDK for WM2003 nice sample "Trayapp" witch use tray icon for show/hide aplication into Tray.
kad

Post by *kad »

You can use "True Toolbar to add "running programs to the system bar. Other cool software, such as SPB Pocket Plus, allow to add shortcuts to the Today screen, which is cool if you want to add a TC icon on your desktop.

Another way to be able to launch Total Commander easily from your screen is to add it to one of the Softkeys (instead of "Calendar" or "Contact" at the bottom of your Today screen).
To do it, you have to edit the registry (using a special software for this, such as PHM Registry Editor (if the one that comes with TC isn't enough). And do the following:
  • Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Today.
  • Create a folder/key named Keys within.
  • Create a folder/key named 112 (for left softkey) or 113 (for right softkey) within the Key folder.
  • Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Today\Keys\112 (or 113) and create a new String with no REG_SZ value (name) but Total Commander as string value.
  • Create a String named Open with \Program Files\Total Commander\cecmd.exe (or another path if it doesn't fit your installation folder).
  • Exit the registry editor and soft reboot if needed
Image: http://www.seosphere.com/forum/uploads/tcregistry_ppc.png

Please keep in mind to be really careful when you do any change on your registry

If you installed Total Commander/CE under \Program Files\Total Commander\cecmd.exe, you could download one of these small files. Once you have downloaded it, just copy it to your PPC and launch it. The modifications to your registry will be done automatically.
If it doesn't work, try importing it from a registry editor. Soft-reset your device...
Let me know if you have any problem ;)

Left Softkey
Right Softkey