[REQ]Locked, directory changes allowed...

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

y0y0GiGi

[REQ]Locked, directory changes allowed...

Post by *y0y0GiGi »

Hi, when we select "Locked, but directory changes allowed"for a tabs you can enter in sub folders, if you changed to an another tab and you come back to this locked tab his last path is reseted to where you locked it, can it be possible to avoid it by an option in tab's option; an option called "remember locked tab path" or "don't reset path of locked tab"?

Thanks a lot.... :D
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Support +++ !

I already suggested such feature quite a long while ago, but no luck so far :(

See the according pale ol' thread here.

Maybe there's still some hope for this useful addition...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, that's how I had it initially when I added the function - it was causing a LOT of confusion, because the tab header showed something completely different (e.g. when making drag&drop to it). That's why I had to reset the tab to its root when leaving it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

That could be solved for instance by adding another * to the tab header, when the tab is (xor isn't) in its root dir.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
sas2000
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sas2000 »

Support ++

karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Sorry, that's how I had it initially when I added the function - it was causing a LOT of confusion, because the tab header showed something completely different (e.g. when making drag&drop to it). That's why I had to reset the tab to its root when leaving it.
I do not remember who expressed their confusion in the past - so I might even have been among those mislead individuals :oops: -, yet, today I would like to stress that the current behaviour (locked but chdir allowed) may not be confusing, but to me it is definitely annoying.

It implies that I may not switch to a different tab in the same panel or the locked tab will automatically jump back to its root folder and I have to use the history in order to jump back to where I came from. So in effect, "locked but chdir allowed" becomes almost useless for me. :(

Therefore, I would like to express my strong support for y0y0GiGi's change request.

Kind regards,
Karl
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

That could be solved for instance by adding another * to the tab header
It isn't solve the following (and IIRC the biggest) problem.
1. User navigates from tab root to different folder(tab still show root or user-defined name).
2. User switchs this panel to another tab.
3. User drag files from other panel to this (aforementioned) tab

Now question is - where TC should copy dragged files? To the root, displayed on tab or to last visited (and currently invisible) directory?
Also take in account - "Errare humanum est" - may be last switch in this tab was made by mistake - user almost have no chance to notice it.

About suggestion itself - I'm not against such OPTION for adventure lovers, but I myself don't need such behavior.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

VadiMGP,
Now question is - where TC should copy dragged files? To the root, displayed on tab or to last visited (and currently invisible) directory?
To last visited dir. If I wanted to copy to root, I would have pressed my cm_GoToLockedDir shortcut.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

I see VadiMGP's point.

Copying to a tab the title of which does not indicate the current folder is a risk for the mouse centric users.

Using the keyboard and pressing F5 you do not run this risk, because you have to activate the target tab beforehand. Which means you should notice what the current folder really is.

Hm, looks as if I/we all will have to live with the annoyance that "locked but chdir allowed" tabs switch back to their defined root folders as soon as you switch away from them.

Karl
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2Hacker
To last visited dir.
It was rhetorical question, you dont need to answer me. :) When I drag files on XYZ I definitely expect from TC to copy files to XYZ.
And please, do me a fawor - dont take this example as only problem. It was just illustation for more common problem - user could be misleaded by difference between tab name and tab content.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

Hmm, I didn't think intensively about it, so it might be not feasible, but what about this:

If I change directory in a locked tab with dirchange allowed, the tab could show the current directory name (at least if the suggested option was active). Thus it would be clear what directory is open, and the locked state would still be indicated with the asterisk.

Just a quick and dirty thought, so there might be disadvantages I'm not aware of...
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2karlchen
is a risk for the mouse centric users.
Not necessary. What about command "Save tabs to file"? What shoud be saved. It is the same problem.
Again, dont see this example as only example. There can be several "Phantom Menaces" :) .

2StickyNomad
it might be not feasible,
Of course it feasible. But it requires some efforts. Your suggestion also doable, but with small changes.
tab could show the current directory name
TC is non-unicode program! Even today I have VERY annoying hex-digits tabs instead of names. It is really enough for me. :wink:
But if different locked tabs will have different text color or highlighting it would be nice.
ND

Post by *ND »

StickyNomad wrote:If I change directory in a locked tab with dirchange allowed, the tab could show the current directory name
I don't support this. If I give a name to a locked tab, I expect it to carry that name which I have given it, not change to something else. Additional markers (e.g. ** like Hacker suggested) are acceptable, nut no name change.
VadiMGP wrote:Now question is - where TC should copy dragged files? To the root, displayed on tab or to last visited (and currently invisible) directory?
How about after drop a message-box pops up asking for "tab root" or "last visited directory" (show both full paths)? Maybe even with a checkbox for "always remember selection" which would disable the popup in the future (where VadiMGP would choose "tab root" and Hacker would choose "current active dir", and as for me I'd rather always be asked).
aNDreas Bolotă
The truth always carries the ambiguity of the words used to express it. (Frank Herbert, God Emperor of Dune)
DoubleT

Post by *DoubleT »

General: Support++
ND wrote:How about after drop a message-box pops up asking for "tab root" or "last visited directory" (show both full paths)? Maybe even with a checkbox for "always remember selection" which would disable the popup in the future (where VadiMGP would choose "tab root" and Hacker would choose "current active dir", and as for me I'd rather always be asked).
Support++

The Tab(-name) could also change the color to indicate, when it is not in tab-root directory.
#5576 Personal licence
#155652 Commercial licence

Planung bedeutet, den Zufall durch den Irrtum zu ersetzten.
y0y0GiGi

Post by *y0y0GiGi »

Yep, i agree with all of you, as i remember when this functions was enable in the 6.X version of total commander, i never made a confusion or mistake, it 's why i think to have this feature back, to turn it in the option menu tabs and of course by default to switching it off for security for Novice Users...

Novice Users don't never go deep in options menu,didn't they ? ;)