Incredible BIG bug in Total Commander all version !

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

coolice

Incredible BIG bug in Total Commander all version !

Post by *coolice »

Hi !

I had found an incredible BIG BUG in Total Commander which exist in all version. I would like to report it to the owner of the program for immediate correction. To see the problem, lets to the following under windows 2000 or XP :

1., Open a notepad, and save a file into C:\ (or system root).
2., Rename it to "program" without any extension.
3., Restart windows.

(If you still have windows in 1 piece)

4., Start up Total Commander.
5., Select the file named "program" which you had been created and delete it....

If you were not lucky enough to have a good undelete program, you suck, because Total Commander deleted ALL Program Files completely.

It is not a mistake, I am a system admisitrator, I am pretty serious, and as I did not beieved to my eyes, I had tried 4 different times, results always the same.

Good playing...

Moore[/img]
Aezay

Post by *Aezay »

I think Windows is to blame, it has this so called "feature" that will delete directories named "filename"_files.
So if you delete a file called index.html it will delete the index_files directory.

Someone explained this much better than I can elsewhere on the forums, just cant remember where.
Of all the planets I've been to, this one is my favorite.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Aezay wrote:I think Windows is to blame...
And if that's true and since Christian cannot debug Windows itself he can at least add a feature to not allow the corresponding deletion or just add a warning message that will inform the user about the consequences of his/her actions! ;)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
jb

Post by *jb »

Aezay wrote:I think Windows is to blame, it has this so called "feature" that will delete directories named "filename"_files.
So if you delete a file called index.html it will delete the index_files directory.
Sounds tempting, but coolice wrote that all "Program Files" were deleted, not "Program_files". At least on my system (Windows 2000 SP4) the "_" is necessary. I made a quick test with file "whatever" and directory "whatever_files" respectively "whatever files", but I did not dare to verify coolice's statement. Can sombody else confirm it?

CORRECTION :oops: :
I made a quick test with file "whatever.htm" and directory "whatever_files" respectively "whatever files", ...
Aezay wrote:Someone explained this much better than I can elsewhere on the forums, just cant remember where.
It was here http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=3972#3972 by Christian himself. In the same thread he also explained how to disable this dangerous Windows feature and promised to workaround it in the next version of TC.
Last edited by jb on 2003-09-05, 11:33 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I tried it myself, and the folder "Program files" is definitely NOT deleted. "Program_files" is not deleted either! Only when deleting a file named "Program.htm", the folder "Program_files" gets deleted here (Win2k SP4)! And Total Commander does not do this by itself, it just deletes the file - Windows does all the rest! So you should get the exact same effect in Explorer too.

I guess that you have an invalid configuration in the registry. Or maybe you had "Program files" selected when deleting that file (outside the visible screen).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
waelder

Post by *waelder »

You can disable this "feature" with the following registry entry:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"NoFileFolderConnection"=dword:00000001
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This still doesn't explain why he has this connection with files without an extension. Any ideas?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Blight

Post by *Blight »

Probably longname/shortname issue, there is a window setting that disables creation os short file names with the ~1 appendage, so the short file name may actually be set as "program" for his program files and when you erase...
Yaron Gur
Zoom Player . Lead Developer