Feature Request: Find Files / text skip button

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

djdave

Feature Request: Find Files / text skip button

Post by *djdave »

Hi,
As a long term user of win/total cmd, one task I have to do quite often is search our group drive at work for a particular file or even text in a file. As the server is very large, I can't go specifying which directories I would or wouldn't like to search as there's so many nested away there. But as its searching, & if I'm watching it, I will often see it go into a particular directory where I know I don't want it to continue to search. To speed things up it would be sooo useful to have a "Skip Directory" button, and also for the text search function, if tc gets stuck into a particularly big file which I know I don't want it to look in, a "Skip File" button too.
Is it possible to implement this in the upcoming version 6? :)
Jonas

Post by *Jonas »

For TC6 it's too late I think, but the idea is good and you're not the first who requested that.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Yeah, on the other hand, you might press "Skip" just as TC finishes scanning that file and it would then skip the next file...

Roman
Jonas

Post by *Jonas »

Good point.... My proposal:
-> You have to hold down the Ctrl-Key while sipping.
-> If you press the Ctrl-Key down, the search is interuppted till you release the Ctrl-Key.
-> Now you have all the time you want to klick on the part of the path you want to skip.

This is better then a button "skip dir/file" because if you click on the path you can decide which part should be skiped (only the file? the currend dir? a whole tree?)
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Jonas

in addition to a skip button: an "add to exclude list" button could be useful.
Last edited by Lefteous on 2003-09-24, 17:39 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Jonas

Post by *Jonas »

good idea! something like:
Ctrl-LeftClick -> skip
Ctrl-RightClick -> skip + add to exclude-list (or a context-menu with more options)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Now we only need an exclude list... ;)

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Jonas

Post by *Jonas »

here (german), Christian said that he'll put it on his todo-list and that's too late for TC6
But he didn't said in which form such a list will get implemented. Either an seperate textfile or a easy to use listbox on the search-dialog like on my fake (also german)...