Problem with files names having embedded spaces.

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Daniel B.

Problem with files names having embedded spaces.

Post by *Daniel B. »

Good day,

I'm using an external file editor, for ASCII files, which is invoked when pressing the [F4] key.

The problem I'm facing here is the fact that when setting the program's path name using the "Browse [>>]" button under the Configuration -> Options -> Edit/View, bottom portion "Editor for F4", the pathname is resulting in something like [x:\Program Files\Programmer File Editor\Pef32.exe], without quotes, which is understandable.

When selecting a file in either pane, then pressing the [F4] key, a popup window shows up saying "File not found!".

Obviously, the file is there, since it is shown in the pane, right ?

Also, when using the internal viewer, the file can be browsed normally, so the odds that the file exists are pretty good, therefore the "File not found!" message has something to do with the program being invoked.

I decided to surround the pathname with quotes and now the external editor is invoked properly as it should. Hummmmm!

So globally, there is something behind the scene that prevents Windows from dealing "properly" with pathnames including blanks.

Total Commander is not the only program that lead me to raise the question, as some other applications and even some system services suddenly stopped to work simply because they weren't started anymore because of those infamous white spaces in filenames.

I know for a fact that the system was handling long filenames with spaces correctly few weeks ago, so I'm under the belief that something got messed up with the application of the SP4 or any other so called "HotFix".

Would someone happen to know what controls Windows behavior in that regard, as to not being able to handle long files names with embedded spaces correctly ?

This must be one of those DLL in that DLL-Hell universe, but I really don't know which one it could be, or what can be done to allow Windows to operate normally with these pathnames.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards.

Note : This is happening on a Windows 2000 Server, SP4 applied.
havanna

Post by *havanna »

I've had that problem.
It resolved not to the path but to user rights.
Whenever I started TC "run as" administrator the Editor came up perfect.
As far as I remember it was solved by reinstalling TC and the editor again with full admin rights.
Tanstaafl