opentabs command...

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

romulous

opentabs command...

Post by *romulous »

From the TC 6.0 helpfile:
"opentabs tabfile.tab in the button bar replaces the current tabs with the tabs saved in tabfile.tab."
Has anyone actually got this to work? I have a button set on my button bar ot try this out, but when I click on it, it does nothing. I have saved the tabs to a file in the TC directory, & have used that name after the opentabs command, but it just does nothing.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The location of the tab file must be set too, e.g.
opentabs c:\totalcmd\tabfile.tab
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
romulous

Post by *romulous »

Hm, just tried that. It still won't work. Just in case it doesn't like long file names (ie c:\program files\total commander), i tried it with " " as well - it just won't work. Any other suggestions?
Nightburn

Post by *Nightburn »

Yes, this is working amazingly for me. This feature makes me very happy.(thanks beta testers/christian!) I have all sorts of shortcut keys setup for different folder tab configurations.

here is my configuration, notice no long files names - works beautifully for me ..

opentabs R:\_Apps\totalcmd\tabs\data.tab

good luck romulous

don't forget about the appendtabs command - it is also useful
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2romulous
Maybe you have disabled tabs in Configuration - Layout?
romulous

Post by *romulous »

Please be more specific - I have looked at every one of the options, & I can see nothing about "disabling tabs" - where is this option exactly? They shouldn't be anyway - I can open tabs manually with no problem, I just can't get the opentabs command to work. It just does nothing.
romulous

Post by *romulous »

Ah, ok, I've figured it out. It's a bug in TC - it cannot handle path names with spaces in them. I installed TC into c:\Program Files\Total Commander. I then tried this path in opentabs as is, & also with the " " around it just in case TC couldn't handle the spaces. However, TC will only pick this up if you use the old naming convention of c:\progra~1\totalc~1
Sloppy - a bug like this should have been picked up in testing.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Huh?
opentabs C:\long name\language.tab
works fine here, even with TC installed in a directory with spaces!
romulous

Post by *romulous »

Well, all I can say is that paths with spaces in them do not work in TC on my PC. I have no idea why they should work on yours, & not on others, but spaces definitely don't work on mine.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Works fine here too (Windows 98 ). Maybe you should triple check for a typo.

What path exactly did you try?
captjlddavis

Post by *captjlddavis »

Hello to all.

First a Thank You to Mr. Ghisler for this excelent program and to those on the forum that are far more knowledgible than I am. Please bear with a newbie.

I have Ver 6.0 (registered) installed and TCExtMenu.mnu. I have done a little mods to the button bar. I can not seem to locate the "opentabs tabfile.tab" in the button bar. perhaps I have accidently removed it or don't know what I am looking for.

Could someone please advise me as to how to regain it or create it ?

Thank you in advance:

regards:captjlddavis
Coco

Post by *Coco »

Hi captjlddavis,

There is no button per default but you can save your tabs to a file and then add a button to restore these tabs.

Just right click on the toolbar and select change.
Add a new button with command:
opentabs c:\totalcmd\tabfile.tab

Where c:\totalcmd\tabfile.tab is the location and name of your tab file.
Alain
romulous

Post by *romulous »

Hi white,

I checked - my path was typed correctly. The path was c:\program files\total commander\image.tab
The only things I can think of are:
1. Christine only tried c:\long name\language.tab - that path only has one space in it (between long & name) - mine (program files\total commander) has 2 (between program & files & between total & commander). It would be quite strange for this to be the problem though.
2. I only have one language installed on mine - English. Christine would have 2 at least, so maybe there is something in the English language files that could be causing this?

romulous
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

romulous wrote:The path was c:\program files\total commander\image.tab"
I uninstalled TC60 on my computer. Then installed it again in c:\program files\total commander with only english installed. I saved some tab windows in c:\program files\total commander\image.tab. I added a button on the button bar with command "opentabs c:\program files\total commander\image.tab"

Works like a charm. So it seems this is machine dependent and you could be the only one with this problem. Maybe you should describe your configuration (operation system etc.), so others with kinda the same configuration can check also.
romulous

Post by *romulous »

Hm, this is weird...it has fixed itself. I overtyped the ~1 path with the full Program Files path again...and it works this time. Very very strange. I did check the path before, and it was correct, but it didn't work then, but the same path works now. One of those things I guess.