A bug in tab saving (net drive) TC 6.01

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JackFoo

A bug in tab saving (net drive) TC 6.01

Post by *JackFoo »

I posted that originally in a different thread, but it seems to not attract attention so here goes again:

try setting a Tab to a shared location say: \\server\e$\dir1\dir2 , lock it, somehow TC doesn't save it in the tab list (close TC re-open, the Tab exists but it points to some different location C: for me). The same works with \\server\c$\dir1\dir2 , note that the only difference is the C$ vs E$.

--Bith C and E are valid harddrives on the server.

BTW: I have the same two configurations working pefectly with Favorites.

Cheers.
Coco

Post by *Coco »

Hi JackFoo,

Since the first day I used tc6 I have a tab pointing to an IFS folder \\as400\IFS\dir1 and it's still working. The tab keep it's location.

I'll try tomorrow at work with a share on 2k/nt server
Alain
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

Well, yes, as I said \\server\c$\dir1\dir2 works perfectly as well, however replacing c$ with e$ brakes it (it just doesn't wan't to save it). I've got no idea why this might happen.

Cheers.
Coco

Post by *Coco »

I just tried exactly the same (at least I think) on an NT server

\\server\e$\dir1\dir2\
lock the tab
exit tc
relaunch tc and for me my tab is still pointing to \\server\e$\dir1\dir2\

I change to different drive c$ or d$ and I don't have any trouble.
Alain
interDist

Post by *interDist »

does this affect only TC 6.01 or the previous version (that is 6.0) too?
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

Happens with both TC 6.0 and 6.01b2.

Cheers.
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

Some more info, this behaviour (not saving the correct tab) seems not to be restricted to E or C, it has got something to do with incorrect Tab saving in .ini .
For instance I have two locked Tabs on the left side

Code: Select all

[lefttabs]
0_path=\\192.168.1.1\E$\dir1\dir2\
0_options=1|0|0|0|0|1
1_path=\\192.168.1.1\C$\blah1\blah2\
1_options=1|0|0|0|0|1
activetab=1
activelocked=1
While the left setting says:

[left]
path=\\192.168.1.1\E$\dir1\dir2\
ShowAllDetails=1
show=1
sortorder=0
negative Sortorder=0
userspec=*.*
Now I start TC and in the left panel I have 3 tabs:
1. \\192.168.1.1\E$\dir1\dir2\ (locked)
2. \\192.168.1.1\C$\blah1\blah2\ (locked)
3. C:\
which isn't really correct if looking at the settings, now I close the c:\ Tab and restart TC:
and I have the following in the .ini

[left]
path=\\192.168.1.1\C$\blah1\blah2\
ShowAllDetails=1
show=1
sortorder=0
negative Sortorder=0
userspec=*.*
[lefttabs]
0_path=\\192.168.1.1\E$\dir1\dir2\
0_options=1|0|0|0|0|1
activetab=1
activelocked=1
and when TC starts I see two Tabs on the left side, both locked one pointing at \\192.168.1.1\E$\dir1\dir2\ and the other at c:\.

It's completely weird, I guess it's something to do with bad .ini saving, but I don't understand why I'm the only one having this.

Cheers.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The section [lefttabs] only contains the INACTIVE tabs, while the section [left] contains the currently active tab. This is done for compatibility with older versions.

It seems that in your case the current dir isn't restored when it 's on a network. This happens when you have
noreread=\
in your wincmd.ini

This option turns of automatic refresh of network shares, not only when switching to TC from a different program, but also when stating TC. I'm considering to separate these two options, but didn't have the time yet, sorry.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The section [lefttabs] only contains the INACTIVE tabs, while the section [left] contains the currently active tab. This is done for compatibility with older versions.
Hmm, I see, that's a little akward, maybe (if compatibility with older versions is important) you should keep both the [left] configuration and the [lefttabs] while reading only lefttabs if it exists (with TC 6+) or just ditch it all together since keeping essentially the same settings in two places is a recipe for a mess. I don't think people expect newer config files to work with older versions as a rool but it's your choice.
ghisler(Author) wrote:It seems that in your case the current dir isn't restored when it 's on a network. This happens when you have
noreread=\
in your wincmd.ini
Yes, indeed, you're right on the money, it does happen only when the selected dir is the network drive. BTW this thing drives me crazy hehe, so hopefuly you'll find a solution soon, thanks.
ghisler(Author) wrote:This option turns of automatic refresh of network shares, not only when switching to TC from a different program, but also when stating TC. I'm considering to separate these two options, but didn't have the time yet, sorry.
I don't think there is a need for an option, you should just make it a default or maybe make it re-read on start only if the Tab was locked, this would seem logical. But then if adding an option is as simple, than that too would do.

Cheers.