Bug: Right Click

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Bug: Right Click

Post by *Boofo »

When I right click a file and hold it down, it will bring up the menu just fine. If I do that to another file when I am done with the first one, it closes TC instead of bringing up the menu. Has anyone else run into this problem at all? I have "use right mouse button (as in NC)" enabled, by the way, if that has anything to do with anything.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is a typical crash caused by a badly written context menu extension. I have described in other threads how you can get rid of them.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

I found the thread where you explain about the WinRAR one. Is there another thread that shows how to get rid of them? Or were you referring to programming them out?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here is my standard text:

1. Start regedit.exe
2. and go to the key
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
In this key, all shell extensions are listed which work with all files. The * is a real star, it does not mean 'any key' here!
3. Choose "Registry" - "export registry", so you can revert your changes later. Choose to export only the selected branch.
4. Now delete one context menu handler after the other, and then try each time in Total Commander whether the context menu works again. This way you should find the defective extension.
5. When you have found it, you need to double click the .reg-file created above to restore all shell extensions, and then delete only the malfunctioning extension.

Please let me know which extension causes this crash!
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

I found it! It is the shell extention for a program called "Power Drawers" . Is there a way to just disable it in TC without having to disable it in the rest of Windows?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Is there a way to just disable it in TC without having to disable it in the rest of Windows?
Don't think so...

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Then we have a major dilemma going on. I use Power Drawers almost as much as I do TC. :(
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Well, report the bug to the author of "Power Drawers" ...
#5767 Personal license
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

And what do I tell them? I'm not a programmer. I don't know what to tell them from a programmer's point of view.
TucknDar

Post by *TucknDar »

Boofo wrote:And what do I tell them? I'm not a programmer. I don't know what to tell them from a programmer's point of view.
You just tell them what the problem is, and refer them to this thread, so that if they listen to users' bug-reports, they should try to fix this one.
license #76904
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Write him that his shell extension causes other programs than Explorer to crash. We had a similar problem with WinRAR recently, and the author was very helpful to fix the problem. The error caused not only Total Commander to crash, but also several other file managers. In this special case, it was caused by a bad implementation of thread variables by Borland C++.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Can I quote your message here? It might help. ;)
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Can I quote your message here? It might help
Send them the link for this very thread:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2420
so they might read the whole story. :twisted:
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
havanna

Post by *havanna »

2 Boofo
Man, I just wanted to have a look at this prog - on the download page my scanner told me there was a backdoor called psychward.
Could be a false alert after all, but you might want to check with symantec eg (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.psychward.html)
Tanstaafl
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

havanna wrote:2 Boofo
Man, I just wanted to have a look at this prog - on the download page my scanner told me there was a backdoor called psychward.
Could be a false alert after all, but you might want to check with symantec eg (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.psychward.html)
I have been using this program for 2 years now and have never run into this. I run Norton's Anti-Virus and have never had an alert with this. I know it can be set for auto-updates (which I do have it set for) but as for any viruses or trojans, I haven't seen any. I use Diamond's TDS-3 trojan scanner and it has never reported any and I consider this scanner the "800 lb. Gorilla of Trojan Scanners". ;) Thanks for the heads up, though. ;)