TotalBox plugin doesn't preserve file dates

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Hammillian7

TotalBox plugin doesn't preserve file dates

Post by *Hammillian7 »

Hi.

First, many thanks for the Android TC and for its active development. I think it's the natural evolution of PC TC users, as well as a basic tool for all Android users. I don't want to sound unpopular to the community neither soothing to the Author, but I sincerily think a small price, similarly to the PC version (but, of course, quite lower, adapted to the Android market) would be more than deserved and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I was starting to like working with TotalBox from Android TC. However, I've found a big problem (I suppose it's a plugin problem) that damages it a lot for me: it doesn't preserve file dates when copying in either direction, but sets them to the current date. It forces me to first pack the files in a zip file and then extract them. Moreover, it shows remote files with date 01/01/70 00:59 (though they are sync'ed to the PC with the current date).

I had the TC 2.03 GPlay official version and have tried the 2.04 public beta 2, just in case, but it's the same.

I have always wanted to keep file and directory timestamps (I actually remember requesting it for the Windows TC many versions ago, first, for dirs, then for files and dirs inside zip files, incorporations for which I thank Mr Ghisler a lot). And, again, I'm convinced I'm not the only one.

So, coming to the point:

1.- Could we expect it to be corrected?

2.- Do the other cloud storage plugin alternatives (Google Drive, SkyDrive) preserve dates (it would be a much enough reason for me to switch to them, though I don't like their contents ownership conditions).

Thanks.

Jose
Last edited by Hammillian7 on 2013-12-29, 15:14 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

1. The TotalBox plugin isn't my own, so I don't know whether it's possible to preserve the date when uploading. It's possible that the Dropbox server doesn't support to upload the file with its timestamp. Regarding downloads, this is a bug in Android 3 and later - root rights are needed to set the timestamp on the internal SD-Card. The next version of TC will support it on rooted devices.

2. Unfortunately neither Google Drive nor Skydrive nor WebDAV support the upload of timestamps.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Hammillian7

Post by *Hammillian7 »

Thanks, Mr. Ghisler, for the quick reply.

1.1- I'll try to contact the Totalbox plugin author.

1.2- However, the Windows Dropbox app does syncronize file (and dir) timestamps. A big pity if the Android version doesn't. I would consider it to be an essential feature of any remote storage service.

1.3- Downloading now with Totalbox sets the current Mobile date to files (loosing the remote source date, which, moreover, is shown as 1-1-70). If the next TC version you mention is like the current 2.04 beta and it's not its fault, maybe it's also a plugin defect.

2.- Very disappoining to know that. Let's hope that they all improve it soon. Thank you for the info: at least it saves me trying.

Thanks and regards,

Jose
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

1.2 if the windows app can do it, then the Android app should be able to do it too.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Google Drive plugins now supports the preserving of timestamps when uploading! I hope that the author of the Dropbox plugin will be able to add it too.