TC’s 10th Anniversary Celebration!

English support forum

Moderators: Hacker, petermad, Stefan2, white

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

TC’s 10th Anniversary Celebration!

Post by *pdavit »

We are relatively close to the 10th anniversary of Total Commander since the very first version. How would you like this “event” to be celebrated?

By the way does anyone know the exact date or month of release of the first version? Any clues Christian?
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
jb

Re: TC’s 10th Anniversary Celebration!

Post by *jb »

pdavit wrote:How would you like this “event” to be celebrated?
Heretical suggestion:
Help Christian to get out TC for Linux by freezing this forum, so he has (much) more time for the essentials (and we too). :wink:
Odegard

Re: TC?s 10th Anniversary Celebration!

Post by *Odegard »

jb wrote:Heretical suggestion:
Help Christian to get out TC for Linux by freezing this forum, so he has (much) more time for the essentials (and we too). :wink:
I concur :twisted:
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 19:46 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

norfie wrote:German Version:
1.00d 25.9.93 erstmalige Veröffentlichung
Hmmm... September the 25th

We’ve got some time for those T-Shirts, mugs, mouse pads etc! ;-)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Help Christian to get out TC for Linux by freezing this forum
No, please don't - the forum should actually reduce the amount of e-mails which I'm getting! I can't say if it does or not, but it's certainly a nice help for many users. Thanks to all who participate so actively here!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
atomix

Post by *atomix »

The T-Shirts, mugs, mouse pads, etc are all fine, but what I would surely like to get on this 10th aniv. is a CD (having TC logo of course) with every single version of Windows/Total Commander released in the last 10 years. :)
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

Silly as it may sound, I celebrate Total Commander every day I use it. Sometimes it works so well for my chosen tasks that I just sit back in amazement. There are a ton of dual-pane "Commanders" out there. Some have cool features of one kind or another that TC does not have (well, one or two have one or two). Yet only TC works the way I think...

Or is it the other way around, now????

I'd dig a mouse pad with the TotalCommander logo on it.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
jb

Post by *jb »

JohnFredC wrote:I'd dig a mouse pad with the TotalCommander logo on it.
Optical mice are making pads completely obsolete. Apart from regaining desktop space they are more precise and you never have to clean them inside (ball etc.). I can only recommend to switch at the first best opportunity.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

jb wrote:Apart from regaining desktop space they are more precise and you never have to clean them inside (ball etc.). I can only recommend to switch at the first best opportunity.
Somewhat irrelevant with the thread but i don't think opticals are more precise that ball-mice. Try to move the cursor 1 pixel to the right in a 1280x1024 screen while you have the left mousebutton pressed (i.e. drawing something, moving a window). If you move an optical mouse too slowly (and i'm talking about an MS one), it doesn't understand that you are trying to move it and it stays where it is. If you move it faster... :) They are nice indeed, can work on many strange surfaces but i consider them less precise than the ball ones. Just my thoughts...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
Mr. Q.

Post by *Mr. Q. »

To Ghisler
Do you intend to do something special for the 10th anniversary of WC+TC ?
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

My vote goes for a certificate of registration with my registration number and name printed on and nice touches like watermarks on the page (A4 size should be enough) and a hologramed TC logo on it. I’m willing to pay a lot for something like that which I will frame it and place it above my computer. Maybe it can be specially framed as well by the TC team.

Oh, and I don’t think this “celebration” should take any of Christian’s valuable time. A 3rd party company should do the whole process under Christian’s approval of course! ;)
jb

Post by *jb »

wanderer wrote:Somewhat irrelevant with the thread but i don't think opticals are more precise than ball-mice.
There is some relevance to the thread: If somebody plans to sell or give away mouse pads with the TC logo then it's better to know whether there is a need nowadays or not.
wanderer wrote:Try to move the cursor 1 pixel to the right in a 1280x1024 screen while you have the left mousebutton pressed (i.e. drawing something, moving a window). If you move an optical mouse too slowly (and i'm talking about an MS one), it doesn't understand that you are trying to move it and it stays where it is.
I cannot reproduce this behavior. I've just tried it on a 1280x1024 screen with a mouse of type "Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer V3.0" and the bitmap program "Jasc Paint Shop Pro" in zoom-view 1:1. Result: It is very easy for example to change the width of rectangle pixel by pixel slowly dragging the mouse. Maybe you have a driver, configuration or hardware problem.
JohnFredC
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *JohnFredC »

I tend to agree that the perceived accuracy of mechanical mice (assuming they are absolutely clean: always an issue) is generally higher than that of optical mice (meaning those with no moving parts).

I use a mechanical mouse most of the time (Logitech Mouseman+), but occasionally use my wife's Microsoft optical mouse when seated at her workstation. I've noticed that the optical mouse movement, translated to cursor movement on the screen, seems much less smooth. I changed the substrate that the optical mouse moves on, and find that a very contrasty highly detailed black and white photograph makes the best "mousepad" for my wife's mouse.

Perhaps the perceived lack of accuracy is really just the optical mouse dropping movement data from the stream due to errors in reading the patterns of the substrate.

There is probably an expressible algebraic relationship between the smallest movement detected by an optical mouse and the angular size and relative contrast (in infrared light) of the smallest detectable feature of the substrate on which it moves.
Licensed, Mouse-Centric, moving (slowly) toward Touch-centric
jb

Post by *jb »

Regarding the surface the small print on the box of the "Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer V3.0" mouse says:
The optical sensor performs best on surfaces with detail to track. It will not function on surfaces without visible detail (such as glass) or surfaces on which it has a reflection (such as mirrors or glossy surfaces). The optical sensor may also have difficulty tracking on highly repetitive patterns (such as printed magazine or newspaper photographs).

Also the performance of the many mouse models may vary considerably (number and size of scans, ...).