Create list of files/dirs to copy

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tweakme

Create list of files/dirs to copy

Post by *tweakme »

Hi, i'm looking for a way to create a list of files/dirs to copy/move in an orderly fashion. Of course, i like to that with TC available-functions :!:

Let's say, i have a group of dirs on hdd1, hdd2, etc. which I would like to move from PC1 to PC2. Let's say, I have three dirs:

* from PC1, different folders/partitions:
c:\<MY-MOVIES\> ; 30 gB
d:\<MUSIC\> ; 50 gB
e:\multimedia\<ANIM\> ; 20mB
f:\mssql\backup\<backupxxx.bak> ; 100GB

* to PC2, one partition/folder:
d:\media&backups\<...>

Problem1/ Of course i could do this with the COPY [F5] command, but it could takes me hours to complete the job, cause i have to wait for each actions to finish.
Problem2/ When i use the Copying in [Background] with TC and have the folders my-movies,music,anim,mssql-backup copied/create&paste SIMULTANEOUSLY, harddrive of both computer would go crazy because of the multiple sessions.
Problem3/ Also large file fragments would also occur :-(.

I noticed that when:
- i create one copy session from pc1->pc2, I get a stable transfer rate of approx. 10mB/s
- i create multiple sessions from pc1->pc2, the transfer rate would go below 6mB/s or even lower! One factor of this is my stupid(cheap :oops: ) router/hub can't handle multiple jobs at once.

Because I move/copy lots of files (big-files/many files) i like to schedule the copying action one time only and utilize max. network bandwith in lesser time.

Anyone got any :idea: how to do this with TotalCMD :?:
tweakme

MakeBat Plugin....

Post by *tweakme »

I noticed a plugin called MakeBat, downloadable at < http://ghisler.com/plugins.htm > But with this plugin, one can only create a separate predefined job (.bat-file) for one partition/drive-letter: at a time only....by the way, this plugin uses windows command XCOPY to do the job. Als you may already know, xcopy does not allow moving/deleting files/dirs it already copied thus Moving files is not possible :evil:

As i'm typing this, i realized that by using the dos-command:
<c:\> copy *.* allbatch.bat
multiple batch-files (e.g. batch1.bat; batch2.bat; batch3.bat) would merge to one batch-file, allowing me to do the job i wanted when creating this topic :roll:

Still, i'm not satisfied with the merging thing...there must be an easier way to do all this in one :!: command/action.

Darn i'm lazy :twisted:
Dominik

Post by *Dominik »

exactly what i need to make backups!
tweakme

Post by *tweakme »

Dominik wrote:exactly what i need to make backups!
:shock: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Please explain what you mean by that?
Last edited by tweakme on 2003-04-16, 23:43 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Dominik

Post by *Dominik »

tweakme wrote:
Dominik wrote:exactly what i need to make backups!
:shock: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
anything that you cant understand?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: MakeBat Plugin....

Post by *Horst.Epp »

tweakme wrote:I noticed a plugin called MakeBat, downloadable at < http://ghisler.com/plugins.htm
...by the way, this plugin uses windows command XCOPY to do the job. Als you may already know, xcopy does not allow moving/deleting
This plugin is in no way restricted to use xcopy
You can use any command you like.
That may be xxcopy for example whic is a much better xcopy
and it may by any other command.
tweakme

Re: MakeBat Plugin....

Post by *tweakme »

Horst.Epp wrote:
tweakme wrote:I noticed a plugin called MakeBat, downloadable at < http://ghisler.com/plugins.htm
...by the way, this plugin uses windows command XCOPY to do the job. Als you may already know, xcopy does not allow moving/deleting
This plugin is in no way restricted to use xcopy
You can use any command you like.
That may be xxcopy for example whic is a much better xcopy
and it may by any other command.

Yes, yes! you are right. MakeBat allows me to change the syntax.

now, if i only could insert/append the new batchfile to and existing one, my goal would be completed.