TC 11 beta 3: History [Alt + Down] too wide left field if 'Icons' option is unchecked

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

beb

TC 11 beta 3: History [Alt + Down] too wide left field if 'Icons' option is unchecked

Post by *beb »

Generally, the title says it all.
Still, some graphics: Image: https://i.imgur.com/TJx8I9A.png

I'm pretty sure this ain't no bug but rather a sort of disease of infancy (of the newly born feature), so I'm posting this here.
I would expect the left field without icons to be twice as narrower, e.g. aligned to the width of the history button itself.
Otherwise, everything looks good.
Thank you.
#278521 User License
Total Commander [always the latest version, including betas] x86/x64 on Win10 x64/Android 10
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: TC 11 beta 3: History [Alt + Down] too wide left field if 'Icons' option is unchecked

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Have you looked at the directory hotlist (bookmarks)? That's a regular Windows context menu, and it uses the exact same gap.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Re: TC 11 beta 3: History [Alt + Down] too wide left field if 'Icons' option is unchecked

Post by *hi5 »

It it perhaps because of the font / line height combination that it "feels" different. I have "same as menu font" and the history is much more compacted verses the hotlist - hotlist has more room between entries so it feel more natural.

I like the "highlight ✓" in the hotlist, is that something that could be added to the History as well which now only shows the ✓ for the current folder?

Edit: I just noticed the ✓ is also different, if you look at the ✓ in the history, do a right click you see a different ✓ in there for the "show most recent..." one for example. It is a bit jarring to see two different versions. I also like the standard ✓ better (the one in directory history and the selected option in the context menu).
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It it perhaps because of the font / line height combination that it "feels" different. I have "same as menu font" and the history is much more compacted verses the hotlist - hotlist has more room between entries so it feel more natural.
I'm using the TEXTMETRICS of the font, with the fields tmHeight+tmExternalLeading for the height calculation. I don't know what the context menu uses, but it surely wastes a lot of space.
The ✓ is the same I use in the main menu. The context menu probably uses theming.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
hi5
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *hi5 »

Re theming, probably so, the highlighted "row" color in the menu is also different between history/hotlist (dark blue v very light blue) - I can live with it.
F4MiniMenu (Forum) - Open selected file(s) from TC in defined editor(s) - A (minimalistic) clone of F4Menu
Source at GitHub (AutoHotkey). TCSyncComments (copy file comments)
beb

Post by *beb »

So, if I understand correctly, this is just Windows theming shenanigans and nothing could be done here.
Still, thank you.
#278521 User License
Total Commander [always the latest version, including betas] x86/x64 on Win10 x64/Android 10