Strange problem with quick search dialog

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Leoloewe

Post by *Leoloewe »

hi there,
I also have the same problem since the latest hotfixes...
nagyi wrote:Hi,

found something interesting to this issue:
-create a directory
-create following (empty) files:

Now try to search for 1,2,3,4
You'll get x+1 x-s in the search window, where x stands for the numbers :)
Interesting experiment :D The cause of this problems seems to be somehow linked with the index of the files in the list view...
So the search function that gets the first file that matches the typed chars may be the problem...
In conjunction with the latest Win2k-hotfixes, this could mean that there has something changed inside the "FindFirstFile" and "FindNextFile" functions of the Windows API......................

are there any programmers that experienced anything like that since the latest hotfixes?

I emailed to support@ghisler.com for an official statement, but there hasn't happened anything yet...
ap1978

Post by *ap1978 »

Same problem here. Running Windows 2000 Professional 5.00.2195 SP4 and all the latest hotfixes.
Owner of personal license #67464
RADiCAL

Post by *RADiCAL »

Leoloewe wrote: In conjunction with the latest Win2k-hotfixes, this could mean that there has something changed inside the "FindFirstFile" and "FindNextFile" functions of the Windows API......................

are there any programmers that experienced anything like that since the latest hotfixes?

I emailed to support@ghisler.com for an official statement, but there hasn't happened anything yet...
Could be. I stopped programming for a long time (due to lack of time), but I think that you are right on this one.
Cheers! ;)
BTW: if you look carefully, the developers and admin of the site is replying here too. I think the forum is more helpful than the email.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I don't think there is a connection between FindFirstFile and FindNextFile and the hotfix. These functions are used to list the contents of a directory. The quick-search problem appears after the contents had been read.
I guess there is a new behavior in data exchange between the quick search dialog and the current listbox caused by the hotfix.

informations from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-045.asp
Leoloewe

Post by *Leoloewe »

Lefteous wrote: I guess there is a new behavior in data exchange between the quick search dialog and the current listbox caused by the hotfix.

informations from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-045.asp
Yeah that also seems more plausible to me :D thx for the link
RADiCAL

Post by *RADiCAL »

10x, Lefteous. Now everyone should consider it when staying unprotected. I assume most people will prefer uninstalling the hotfix to work with Total Commander without any bugs and problems. But this is only my opinion. I hope that a fix will be released soon.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I have written a hotfix which corrects the problem caused by Microsoft security update KB824141. Please read the following announcement:

http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=1886
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Some more information:

// Sending the character 'x' to an edit field.
PostMessage (Edit1.Handle, WM_CHAR, 120, 12345);

The field edit field now contains 12345 'x' charcaters. It's not a bug - it's a (Windows 2000 KB824141 only) feature! :twisted:
RADiCAL

Post by *RADiCAL »

Well, it did fix it. 10x !
oskamp

PostMessage (..., WM_CHAR, ...)

Post by *oskamp »

At least it's documented in the Platform SDK. If you search for WM_CHAR, you will find the following about the meaning of lParam:
"Specifies the repeat count, scan code, extended-key flag, context code, previous key-state flag, and transition-state flag, as shown in the following table.
0-15
Specifies the repeat count for the current message.
[...]"
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2oskamp

well repeat count doesn't mean there will be n chars in the editbox. At least not until KB824141.
Last edited by Lefteous on 2003-10-20, 23:09 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
oskamp

Post by *oskamp »

See here for an up-to-date version of the description of WM_CHAR:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/winui/windowsuserinterface/userinput/keyboardinput/keyboardinputreference/keyboardinputmessages/wm_char.asp

Bits 0 to 15 contain the repeat count. Maybe this relatively new, I don't know.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2oskamp

the documentation hasn't change much since Windows 3.11.
Bits 0 to 15 contain the repeat count. Maybe this relatively new, I don't know.
Can you tell how to insert 5762 chars into an editbox using a single WM_CHAR-message on Windows XP (all patches installed)?